Saab 9-3 Aero from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saab 9-3 Aero from the UK

Then I trial fitted the Pioneer. (DEH-80PRS was meant to go in but I've bagged the DEX-P99RS so the 80's been sold on)

Slides straight in....and keep on going! The HUs cage can't be used as it won't fit, and the securing clips each side are different to the Saab ones....not sure how I'm going to secure this, maybe it can be screwed into the cage?

Next problem is the ash tray, his has a lip to it which stops the face plate coming all the way down so you can't fit a cd, not a massive problem as ill be mainly using USB but playing the odd CD would be nice!

That's as far as it gets

Needs to be like this with it removed... so that's another little problem to try & sort out!

Here's the lip

This is the Pioneers connector block, none of the speaker wires will be used.

Any ideas on where these need to tap into the cars loom ?

And that's it for now
    Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
    Genesis Four Channel
    Genesis Dual Mono
    Caliber Evolution 4300
    Sinfoni S165W
    Sinfoni S100M
    Simfoni S25T
    Morel SW 9

Comment

Holy s****!
      That is a lot of dampening sex!

Regarding your question on the last post, I guess the common procedure I've seen here is to avoid cutting the native cables in the car. Rather, there are a car model specific -> ISO converters that solves the issue for you, plus you don't cut anything original.

Something along these lines: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CT20SA03-Saa...item2568478a72

zrk

Bygglogg: SQW: TransFårrden

Comment

....never ever again!! Next car will just get the doors, arches & boot treatment! Took me days to do the interior!

Re the wiring I looked everywhere but there's nothing available for the pre 07 cars with the fibre optic system (I haven't heard of any wiring harnesses but you never know) so I've made my own up, more on that later when I update the thread. Still more deadening to come
        Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
        Genesis Four Channel
        Genesis Dual Mono
        Caliber Evolution 4300
        Sinfoni S165W
        Sinfoni S100M
        Simfoni S25T
        Morel SW 9

Comment

Did you find any MLV in the end?
          Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
          Genesis Four Channel
          Genesis Dual Mono
          Caliber Evolution 4300
          Sinfoni S165W
          Sinfoni S100M
          Simfoni S25T
          Morel SW 9

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin dai View Post
            Did you find any MLV in the end?
            I was happy to find the company u provided was shipping to Sweden.
            The most critical areas in my car is the floor/rearseats. None of that can be done before I tear down the current wall.
            Maybe towards the end of the summer. I've been talking around to setup a group buy

Comment

That dampening job looks very serious, nice to see! About fixing the new headunit, i just drilled a pair of holes in the console and screwed it in place. For the wires i think the best thing you can do is to install new ones, there´s no adaptor and cutting the original ones seems a little dumb. And that lip on the ashtray, just cut it off and you should be fine.
              Mitt projekt: Volvo V60
              BRL - B2 & Dayton

More to come...

Comment

Yeah I'm leaving the factory wiring alone. The p99 fits great now, just slid in and locked into place. Can't wait to get it all working!
                Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                Genesis Four Channel
                Genesis Dual Mono
                Caliber Evolution 4300
                Sinfoni S165W
                Sinfoni S100M
                Simfoni S25T
                Morel SW 9

Comment

Btw, how do you like the Morel SW9 ?
                  got any references?

Comment

Still sat in their box at the moment I've had close to 3 weeks off work but not a single day of sunshine so couldn't do a thing with the car

Tbh they'll be the last things to be fitted, I've got the genesis P69 subs in the shelf for now so will just use these for the initial build. These are very good though, really surprised with how much bass they give!
                    Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                    Genesis Four Channel
                    Genesis Dual Mono
                    Caliber Evolution 4300
                    Sinfoni S165W
                    Sinfoni S100M
                    Simfoni S25T
                    Morel SW 9

Comment

A little package turned up today...

20 sheets of regular silent coat 2mm deadening (I've got right off the more expensive multilayer extra)

First job was get this piece out to get better access to the carpet....to cut it

With that out I could cut a little further under the console.

Rear carpet out

Drivers side out....

Passengers out
                      Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                      Genesis Four Channel
                      Genesis Dual Mono
                      Caliber Evolution 4300
                      Sinfoni S165W
                      Sinfoni S100M
                      Simfoni S25T
                      Morel SW 9

Comment

Then onto the deadening, MILES easier with no carpet trying to decapitate me, and these sheets are much easier to work with

CCF down

MLV

I've gone as far up to the bulkhead as I can

Drivers side

CCF under the MLV but no pic

Also due to these pipes having to go back down I can't MLV the cabin 100% :wall:
                        Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                        Genesis Four Channel
                        Genesis Dual Mono
                        Caliber Evolution 4300
                        Sinfoni S165W
                        Sinfoni S100M
                        Simfoni S25T
                        Morel SW 9

Comment

Amp cable

I've just used the existing bung behind the glove box.

This KnuKonceptz 0 gauge cable is dead easy to work with, very pliable and none of the problems I had with the Autoleads kit trying to spring back into a big coil , and this Knu cable is also more like 00 gauge! Really good quality kit.

Bit of red PVC braid to protect it and look all pretty!

I've left a few inches dangling off the end, got the screwdriver in the middle then jabbed it through the hole, pulls through easy. Just glides through with the braid fitted...

Plenty to play with, ill run a short 6" wire from the +ve terminal into a fuse holder then run the rest of the wire from there. Job done!

All tucked under the strut brace for now safe out the way

Inside I've ran it under the plastic pipes and through the seat struts.

So it'll be speaker wire down each door sill, power cable down straight down the middle passenger side, RCA's tucked to the left of the drivers seat next to the console.

Passenger carpet back in....very nearly broke me this!!!

The only way I could get it back in with the deadening down is place it as it should be from the rear, then fight the thing back into place right up to the front and under the glove box....knackering this carpet is proper thick!!!
                          Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                          Genesis Four Channel
                          Genesis Dual Mono
                          Caliber Evolution 4300
                          Sinfoni S165W
                          Sinfoni S100M
                          Simfoni S25T
                          Morel SW 9

Comment

First job today was sort the old RCA's from the 9-3 vert. All I wanted to do was put them in some thinner polyester braid along with the amp remote cables. What a palava!! The new braid will take 2 but not 3 sets of RCA's so had to re use to old one....half hour wasted

This was routed down the drivers side of the center column then to the rear door sill and out the back.

For the amp's earth cable I decided to use the rear seat belt bolt. Last time I picked up some alt whine so decided to grind the paint off everything and try to get a clean connection.
                            13mm for the bolt

Alomst used the supplied lug from KnuKonceptz and the hammer & vice thing.... then remembered I've bought a bag full of welding lugs & hydraulic crimper

Better!

Crimped (dead easy with the crimper!)

Heat shrink

Grinding off the paint

Also grinded the lug (not sure if this will make much difference?)

Done

Then ran the cables to the boot, ill try and keep the power cable as far away as possible from the others this time, but the passenger side speaker cables will cross at one point (haven't done that side yet as Ive lost the speaker cables!)

Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                            Genesis Four Channel
                            Genesis Dual Mono
                            Caliber Evolution 4300
                            Sinfoni S165W
                            Sinfoni S100M
                            Simfoni S25T
                            Morel SW 9

Comment

Then took another look at this head unit, I've cut the lip off the ash tray and this has solved the CD problem, the fascia now drops down as it should so i can insert/eject a cd. I just need to sand it down to get a better finish, cut the old CD players fascia to fit.....then that's done.

Then took a look at the phone connector and what to connect the headunit to for 2x power & earth.

If I've got this right its:

red- perm +12v
                              yellow- ignition +12v
                              black- earth

Just waiting on the 2nd harness to turn up...drunk on cider and ended up buying the wrong side iso connector

Then find a wire for the illumination and the pioneer can be fired up!
                              Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                              Genesis Four Channel
                              Genesis Dual Mono
                              Caliber Evolution 4300
                              Sinfoni S165W
                              Sinfoni S100M
                              Simfoni S25T
                              Morel SW 9

Comment

Trim & interior back in, 9-10mm deadening makes a big difference in these! The carpet & trim has been a right bastard to get back in....hours of struggling

The center consoles still not right and a few mm out, but I need to get it back off anyway to access the wiring for the headunit so ill sort that later.

Glove box needed drilling for the iPhone & USB cables to come through, and glove box screwed back on

Seats back in (painless & flew in!)

That's today. Hopefully the harness will turn up tomorrow then I can get the head unit powered up, swap the speakers then fit the amps and see ow it sounds
                                Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                                Genesis Four Channel
                                Genesis Dual Mono
                                Caliber Evolution 4300
                                Sinfoni S165W
                                Sinfoni S100M
                                Simfoni S25T
                                Morel SW 9

Comment

Working...
                                X