Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saab 9-3 Aero from the UK

A lot of pics to find text explaining what's up

Right, first question, about the MDF rings to the 6.5". Whats your reasoning regarding limitation of air flow on the backside of the woofer? From pics judging, there is veeery little room around that magnet?!

Bygglogg: SQW: TransFårrden

Comment

Originally posted by zrken View Post
      A lot of pics to find text explaining what's up

Right, first question, about the MDF rings to the 6.5". Whats your reasoning regarding limitation of air flow on the backside of the woofer? From pics judging, there is veeery little room around that magnet?!
      Just got advised that the mdf rings are too close to the cone and would be better if it was chamfered instead of straight as it won't sound good as it is.

Tbh I'm a bit baffled with the baffles at the moment I've bought a new router/table so hoping to make some mdf adapters up next time I'm home, that's what's really holding me up at the moment. Once hats done I can just fit the amps and wire everything up
      Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
      Genesis Four Channel
      Genesis Dual Mono
      Caliber Evolution 4300
      Sinfoni S165W
      Sinfoni S100M
      Simfoni S25T
      Morel SW 9

Comment

Really good idea to take the power for your new headunit from that phoneconnector! I have actually never thought about it, iv'e just seen it there but had no idea of what it's for. I think i'll have to contact my dealer to get a price, seems like a pretty simple solution instead of installing new wires or cutting the ones to the EHU.

It look soooo wrong with the steeringwhell on the "right" side, but i guess it would be pretty hard to drive for you with the wheel to the left.
        Mitt projekt: Volvo V60
        BRL - B2 & Dayton

More to come...

Comment

Here's the loom from GS
          http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...cc838f4a82911e

Probably cheaper in Sweden mate, part number 12801584
          Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
          Genesis Four Channel
          Genesis Dual Mono
          Caliber Evolution 4300
          Sinfoni S165W
          Sinfoni S100M
          Simfoni S25T
          Morel SW 9

Comment

I've got a bit ott on amps the last couple months, seems to have developed a thing for old school Caliber and the old RF DSM series kit. Missis has been going her nut though as everything's still sat boxed in the spare bedroom and not in the car "where it should be" ....so I've had to hide a few amps to keep the peace!

I've still got my Genesis S3 amps which replaced my DLS A7 last year (should have kept that as it was lovely)

Genesis Dual Mono

Test sheet

Genesis Four Channel

Both pretty similar in size!

The end goal is a full Sinfoni Amplitude set up so these will more than likely be sold later this year to fund the new amps. But I also want to try these old 90's amps out to see how they sound.

First one I bought was a Denon DCA800, I've always fancied one but kept getting outbid on ebay! The plan was to just run this with an old Alpine MRV-t300 V12 I've had for years and leave it at that (that plan failed big time!)
            Then I bought a Caliber Competition CA70 for the missis car for Christmas for her car! Then saw another Competition amp going cheap so snapped that up so ended up with a CA180...then saw a RF Punch 40i DSM going dirt cheap (£20!) so had to have it....then it just got worst!

Denon DCA800

To go with

Alpine MRV-t300

CA70

CA180

RF Punch 40i DSM

Then did the lethal mistake of asking more about these Caliber amps and got told to look for the Evolution series as their sought after (the chrome ones)

So found one in Austria! Few emails back and forth with my new best mate Google Translate and a few days later this came through the letter box

Caliber Evolution 4300

Bit more ebaying and found these for a good price!

Caliber CA450

Caliber CA460

It gets worst...

Caliber CA100 (sellers pic)

And a couple more RF amps!

40x2 Transana

And another 40i (I blame whisky on this purchase as I thought I was buying a 60i)

And to top my new found love of RF kit off! A nice condition RF DSM style Power Block (whisky's fault again!)

So for now! I'm sorted for amps! I'll try these genesis ones first to see what all the fuss is about, then try a full Caliber set up then try the Rockford's.

I have got my eye on another Caliber though but the seller isn't replying to my broken German on G.Translate
            Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
            Genesis Four Channel
            Genesis Dual Mono
            Caliber Evolution 4300
            Sinfoni S165W
            Sinfoni S100M
            Simfoni S25T
            Morel SW 9

Comment

wholy crap what an amp graveyard!

I recon you've initiated a >habit< on ebay

Comment

Tell me about it!! I'm lucky my internet crapped out a few times this week or 4 more would have turned up

The one amp I really want I can't get though
                Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                Genesis Four Channel
                Genesis Dual Mono
                Caliber Evolution 4300
                Sinfoni S165W
                Sinfoni S100M
                Simfoni S25T
                Morel SW 9

Comment

So im guessing something more is going on since its may and warm outside The reason i drive a 2002 9-3 is the fibre optics that came in the 2003 and up model.

Keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Originally posted by T-Holst View Post
                    So im guessing something more is going on since its may and warm outside The reason i drive a 2002 9-3 is the fibre optics that came in the 2003 and up model.

Keep up the good work!!!
                    Yes and no

Pretty drastic change of plans, I was going to keep this a good 3 or 4 years and take it to JZW stage 5/6 but I keep looking at Jaguar XJR's (x308) so have decided to cool it with this car now and more than likely swap it for the Jag next year.

So the audio set ups going to be a lot more simple! (I'm keeping the Sinfoni 3 ways, Morels and Genesis amps tucked away for the Jag)

Basically my AMP1 has packed in and I can't play any music now. The P99RS is still fitted & good to go, just bought some used Boston Acoustic 6.5" woofers for the doors so hoping these should fit straight in? I'm swapping the old tweeters out for some off my old Focal set, then either keep the standard 3.5" mids of get some JBL GTO329's and (not sure if this will work!!) just snip the tweeters off so they're one way speakers instead of co-axials.

Then just run the system active as planned but with some old 90's Caliber & RF amps and use the P69's as subs in the rear shelf.

Big change of plans here but as I'm thinking of selling anyway....just can't be arsed putting hours of time into it making door builds and cutting the dash up to fit the Sinfoni mids....and making up the tweeter builds in the A pillars. Too much time and money when i'll just get a few months use out of it. No point

So I'll just use what I've got to get up & running again, then keep all the nice high end kit for the XJR

Bit gutted, but my hearts not in it. Its a lovely car but I think I just fancy a change I think! Had Saabs pretty much continually for 9 years now. Plus a v8 XJR with pulley upgrades & remap should go like stink
                    Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                    Genesis Four Channel
                    Genesis Dual Mono
                    Caliber Evolution 4300
                    Sinfoni S165W
                    Sinfoni S100M
                    Simfoni S25T
                    Morel SW 9

Comment

Jagz or Saab, expecting a new buildlog from the starting gates

Comment

Originally posted by zrken View Post
                        Jagz or Saab, expecting a new buildlog from the starting gates
                        Yeah definitely getting its own thread

I'll probably go for it early next year, just waiting for the right one to pop up (black with black leather/ash wood dash) pretty rare though and hard to find in black! Most are either a dark blue or silver.....but there is the XJR 100....but again its very very rare and usually has a higher price tag as its limited edition. Tend to be around £2,000 - £3,000 more than the regular XJR

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/...jr/2001/157080

^^^looks the nuts in black though

I should have bought one ages ago but went for an E55 AMG instead
                        Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                        Genesis Four Channel
                        Genesis Dual Mono
                        Caliber Evolution 4300
                        Sinfoni S165W
                        Sinfoni S100M
                        Simfoni S25T
                        Morel SW 9

Comment

Hope you find the Jag soon,

Would be nice with another Jag:build thread. Althoug mine is far from as impressive as your SAAB thread.

Does the x308 have the tank behind the rear seat like the x300

They are s bit challenging to build in :-) things like 5 different fuseboxes. But hurdles are made to be overcome.

/Per
                          Last edited by Porscheper; May 21, 2014, 07:42. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Porscheper View Post
                            Hope you find the Jag soon,

Would be nice with another Jag:build thread. Althoug mine is far from as impressive as your SAAB thread.

Does the x308 have the tank behind the rear seat like the x300

They are s bit challenging to build in :-) things like 5 different fuseboxes. But hurdles are made to be overcome.

/Per
                            Hi, I've no idea sorry It probably does, I don't think there's a hell of a lot of difference between the 300 & 308 apart from the different engine, bumper & interior?

What size front speakers are they as standard? They're a heck of a lot of car for the money! Are you planning any performance upgrades? Here's a couple places I've found.
                            http://www.eurotoysltd.com/catalog/p...mnmbgitmmqg8o2
                            http://www.powerhouseautomotive.co.u...-upgrades.html

The xjr6 is meant to be pretty raw when tuned (a bit crazy!!) but I've been after the v8 for ages, should have bought it instead of the AMG. Also looking at the Daimler Super V8, looks a bit of a grandad car though but could be a hell of a sleeper after the pulley upgrades & remap
                            Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                            Genesis Four Channel
                            Genesis Dual Mono
                            Caliber Evolution 4300
                            Sinfoni S165W
                            Sinfoni S100M
                            Simfoni S25T
                            Morel SW 9

Comment

Speakers are here! Absolutely no idea if these are any good but the were cheap and I just needed some 4ohm 6.5" mids that fit!

MB Quart PWE160 Not too clued up on MB Quart so not sure what these are like?

Standard speaker on top, look roughly the same size, MB's are a tad bigger

Fit the standard mounts (phew!!!!!!) looks like the gamble paid off!

Depth looks around the same so should fit ok, had to cut the back of the mount off to get the Sinfoni's basket to fit...waste of time!

Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                              Genesis Four Channel
                              Genesis Dual Mono
                              Caliber Evolution 4300
                              Sinfoni S165W
                              Sinfoni S100M
                              Simfoni S25T
                              Morel SW 9

Comment

Amps also here

Caliber Competition CA660

Just need a couple days sunshine now to fit everything and wire the amps/speakers up. And were done!
                                Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                                Genesis Four Channel
                                Genesis Dual Mono
                                Caliber Evolution 4300
                                Sinfoni S165W
                                Sinfoni S100M
                                Simfoni S25T
                                Morel SW 9

Comment

Working...
                                X