Saab 9-3 Aero from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saab 9-3 Aero from the UK

Couple hours deadening today, just the rear shelf this time and a quick swap of the 6x9's for my Genesis subs.

The shelf comes off pretty easy, just drop both seat backs then carefully remove these 3 plastic lugs, lift up at the front and pull it out

With that out the way your left with this, so mine has the 11 speaker system? 5 up front & 6 in the shelf.

I think its 6x9's for bass, 4" for mids and looks like a 2" tweeter for highs. When I eventually fit the amps ill just wire up the 6x9's only, disconnect the other 2 but leave them in situ.

I wanted to seal up these 3 holes, then add some deadening here and there ontop of the shelf, I've also done underneath.

To get the 6x9's out you have to remove both C pillar covers as these block one of the screws

Shelf deadened

Gennesis subs fitted....but not working :wall:

No idea what's happened here, they could be goosed but visually look in vgc. I've wired up the old 6x9's and these work fine, the p69's are showing no signs of life though, no sound and no movement in the cones?

Do these P69's have to be amped to get any sound from them? I'm getting nothing from the headunit :?
    Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
    Genesis Four Channel
    Genesis Dual Mono
    Caliber Evolution 4300
    Sinfoni S165W
    Sinfoni S100M
    Simfoni S25T
    Morel SW 9

Comment

the wiring harness turned up, plan here is to solder this into the car so theres a harness fitted for an easy swap of the head unit if I decide to swap the pioneer later on or when its time to sell up in a few years.

Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
      Genesis Four Channel
      Genesis Dual Mono
      Caliber Evolution 4300
      Sinfoni S165W
      Sinfoni S100M
      Simfoni S25T
      Morel SW 9

Comment

Couple goodies turned up today

Morel Elate SW 9 woofers

Always know its good kit if the boxes are a bit po'sh :wink:

Now I've got them they do look more like mid bass speakers than subs, still meant to be very nice though plus im not after a deep deep bass just something nice and accurate and take a little stress off the door mids..... just need to decide on an enclosure.

Also pretty shallow and around half the size of a sky remote! Also handy as I don't want a massive enclosure again like in the 9k!

Will paint these black again, ones also a little dented so needs pushing back out

These look really well built!

And with the fake Morels floating about this gave me peace of mind that's its genuine...

So that's all speakers & subs now finally bought! Just need to pop to b&q tomorrow and get a load of off cuts to build the box when I get a weekend off!

Still waiting on my wiring harness....only been 12 days :roll:
        Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
        Genesis Four Channel
        Genesis Dual Mono
        Caliber Evolution 4300
        Sinfoni S165W
        Sinfoni S100M
        Simfoni S25T
        Morel SW 9

Comment

Finally!!! The telephone looms here!

I can't check the car until after the weekend but this looks like the correct 18 pin adapter

Mondays job is figure out which is definitely the 2 power wires & if there's an illum wire here (don't think there is though) then solder on the ISO harness and fingers crossed the pioneer will come to life

Tuesday if its nice ill be fitting the front speakers, stick the Kenwood 6x9 subs in for now & screw the amps the the back seats to see how it all sounds then sort it properly when I've got a week off and get the enclosures built for the morels....and deaden the boot & roof :wall:
          Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
          Genesis Four Channel
          Genesis Dual Mono
          Caliber Evolution 4300
          Sinfoni S165W
          Sinfoni S100M
          Simfoni S25T
          Morel SW 9

Comment

Impressive, both the amount of work you put into this and your updates to this thread.

Keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Perb67 View Post
              Impressive, both the amount of work you put into this and your updates to this thread.

Keep it coming.
              Thanks

I'm just copy & pasting my other thread for now to get up to speed. I'm hoping to get it up and running in the next fortnight (as long as the rain holds off or it doesn't snow!)
              Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
              Genesis Four Channel
              Genesis Dual Mono
              Caliber Evolution 4300
              Sinfoni S165W
              Sinfoni S100M
              Simfoni S25T
              Morel SW 9

Comment

Here's where I'm connecting the power & earth, some guys have tapped into existing wiring, some even tapped into the EHU which is one thing I wanted to really avoid! Just figured if I do this its easy to reverse everything when I come to sell up in a couple years (really fancy another v6 but the facelift wagon next time without this fibre optics crap!)

Were in business (80prs has now been replaced with the p99rs)

Just tapped together to make sure it's working, I haven't used the illum wire just 2 power & earth. All seems fine.

So wires from the phone kit are-

Red 12v memory
                Red/blue 12v power
                Black earth

Date/time & settings saved with the car off/faceplate removed but can't get the HU to power up without the keys in & ignition on I've tried swapping power wires over but still no joy. Main thing it's working and nothing's set on fire!

Soldered/heat shrunk the harness properly and heat shrunk any spare wires so that's one pita job done!

So just have these 3 wires connected until I fit the amps and connect the blue remote wire, not bothering with the illum...

Ta'da!! 1 x loom finally done!

Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                Genesis Four Channel
                Genesis Dual Mono
                Caliber Evolution 4300
                Sinfoni S165W
                Sinfoni S100M
                Simfoni S25T
                Morel SW 9

Comment

Next job was to fit this lot, didn't go to plan though

Door mids are pretty deep & the magnet is pretty chunky, so might have a problem here with mounting them.

Plan was to reuse the standard mount but cut the back off as i think its a sealed cup, then just swap speakers over. Not sure if it'll work. Also have a mdf ring here but I think its only 18mm so might not be deep enough.

Connectors are easy though!

4" dash mids I'll try and fit and get the tweeter on the a pillar, just spade connectors here so easy.

Tweeters were supposed to go in some focal pods but they're too small. Just need to solder on a couple connectors here.
                  Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                  Genesis Four Channel
                  Genesis Dual Mono
                  Caliber Evolution 4300
                  Sinfoni S165W
                  Sinfoni S100M
                  Simfoni S25T
                  Morel SW 9

Comment

Ran into a problem with the speaker mounts as suspected, they've got a back to them unlike the old vert ones which were just a big thick solid ring.

Here's how far the mids will go! Surprising how chunky these are! Should really bang!!

Here's the mount off the car, you can see the how it cups the old speaker, slats let some air out plus there's a big hole on one end to get the plug/wire through.

I've had to gut the insides out with some snips and just have the ring part, had to cut a fair bit out to fit the magnet, snapped the bloody thing too when I dropped it :wall:

Mount back in and needs tidying up but the speaker fits great (more problems though...)

The windows catching the magnet by 1mm!! Just touches it and pushes it out slightly!! Fitted a couple small spacers behind the mount to push it out 3mm and it just clears the window. All going good then I tried to screw the thing in and the old screws are too thick for the speaker basket! Can't go in with it drilling the holes a little bigger (not doing that!)
                    Popped to b&q for a few different ones to try, one fits great but the actual thread is too small for the holes in the mount.....can't screw it anywhere as there's not enough meat on the mount plus these Sinfoni holes don't match up with the mount anyway..

Tried my mdf spacer but the door skin is uneven so can't get a decent seal.
                    Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                    Genesis Four Channel
                    Genesis Dual Mono
                    Caliber Evolution 4300
                    Sinfoni S165W
                    Sinfoni S100M
                    Simfoni S25T
                    Morel SW 9

Comment

Back to these speakers...

I've bought a pair of 36mm mdf spacers, took a bit of a gamble on the right size and its half paid off :roll:

These fit the speaker ring perfect inside, with just a couple mm overlap on the outside so plenty of meat to drill into but not too wide. (I think it'll still foul the ring inside the door card though)

36mm sounds a lot but it gives around 3 or 4mm clearance for the window

Speakers laid flat in the box as they would be in the doors, just a few mm taller on the mdf ring

Roughly 6mm difference in height, might have to trim some of the door card to get it back on, guarantee it'll hit the way this is going!

So far so good, until I put the old adapter on the new one :wall:

One bolt hole fits fine

But the other two are way out and no where near the ring

Now I'm stuck again! Do I get another 36mm ring with a thicker bezel and hope that fits or just screw it on with one hole and use an adhesive or fibreglass to bond the rest of the ring to the door skin?
                      Or get 2 small bits of mdf to attach to the ring with strong glue that I can drill through for the other two points and secure it that way (no idea what to use)
                      Only issue with a thicker bezel is clearance issues with the door card back on.

Also need to drill though the ring the thickness of the bolts, then drill again a few mm but a bigger hole to counter sink the bolts head so the speaker fits nice & flush.

This lot better sound awesome when it's finished......

I think my best bet here is just make up some mdf adapters when I can.
                      Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                      Genesis Four Channel
                      Genesis Dual Mono
                      Caliber Evolution 4300
                      Sinfoni S165W
                      Sinfoni S100M
                      Simfoni S25T
                      Morel SW 9

Comment

Little box turned up today

Genesis P69 subs

2nd time lucky (I hope!) 1st set was goosed.

4ohm like the first set but the cone is a bit different with the silver part raised a few mm

Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                        Genesis Four Channel
                        Genesis Dual Mono
                        Caliber Evolution 4300
                        Sinfoni S165W
                        Sinfoni S100M
                        Simfoni S25T
                        Morel SW 9

Comment

As the Sinfoni's are a 3 way set up plus I wanted subs the 80prs wasn't really up to going 4 way so I went searching for a different head unit. I fancied. Few nice ones (Pioneer p90 combo, Clarion DRZ9255 and Pioneer DEX-P99RS) missed out on a couple P90's, couldn't find a used p99 anywhere and new prices were over £800 so well over budget, and very nearly bought a DRZ from the US. Then a used p99 popped up on ebay, stuck a silly bid in and won it for a decent price! Finally have one!

Needs an iso connector soldered on, then I can just plugin as normal. Not sure what the black block is? Is it a DC/DC converter or something else? Always thought the DC/DC converters were bigger?

RCA pre-outs, 4 of them so I'm sorted!

USB & extension cable (sockets at the back) just the one though. The 80PRS comes with 2 which is really handy as you can have one for a USB stick/Hard Drive or iPod hidden & left in the glove box and the others available to charge & use the iPhone.

Remote (can't see me using this)
                          Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                          Genesis Four Channel
                          Genesis Dual Mono
                          Caliber Evolution 4300
                          Sinfoni S165W
                          Sinfoni S100M
                          Simfoni S25T
                          Morel SW 9

Comment

Had a chance to quickly wire up the p99 earlier. Had to make up a temporary harness until I solder it. Needs tidying up and made a bit shorter!

Main thing is its working

Menu system is pretty much the same as my other one, took a few minutes to figure out that the left side dial is multi directional so rotates, presses in and clicks left/right/up/down to get through the different menu options (small arrows in the display below)

No front/rear/sub available on this (not that I can see anyway!) but lets you select either left/right or both front seats for the TA & EQ or just have it off. (I found drivers seat was best last time, makes a hell of a difference)

Also no speaker outputs on this just the 4 RCA's. So I'm guessing that's what a 'dead head' means? No internal amp? Not bothered with that as my last one had the internal amp switched off anyway to cut down on noise, but would be a problem if you didn't want to amp the system!

Pretty much the same as last time with the crossover set up, but you get a lot more choice here. Gives sub hpf/lpf (high & low pass filter) low lpf/hpf, mid hpf/lpf and high hpf/lpf.

Slope settings can be fully adjusted for each one of the above! (This is gonna take me ages to set up!)

Time alignment menu, seems the easiest way is auto TA then adjust from there (didn't come with a mic though) :?

Sound retriever? :cen: knows what this does! But there's 3 modes for it?

Display options (nothing fancy like the prs) pretty boring really but not bothered.

Saves up to 5 EQ settings in memory (can only save 2 on mine)

Front panels motorised, and detachable.
                            Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                            Genesis Four Channel
                            Genesis Dual Mono
                            Caliber Evolution 4300
                            Sinfoni S165W
                            Sinfoni S100M
                            Simfoni S25T
                            Morel SW 9

Comment

Small (but pretty knackering) update
                              Seats, trim & carpet out/back in job today as we had a bit of sunshine! Backs in half after 6 hours non stop ICE'ing!!!

Last time I just wired the car up for 2 way active plus subs & 3 sets of RCA's. With the new headunit it'll be 3 way plus subs so needs the extra set of speaker wires laid plus another set of RCA's!! Should have done this back in June

Anyway, the 80prs is now out, boxed up and replaced with the p99

ICM2 is still working and connected to just the dash speakers & shelf 4" mids....Jesus this sounds pants without any door speakers & 6x9's fitted!! It's not the best will all speakers firing!

Bonus here is the faceplate lowers and doesn't touch the ash tray so no more cutting! Looks like it would have been done without cutting it! Just need to sort the surround out now.

Also wired up the front door speakers and ran the wires to the boot for the amps.

Passenger side

Drivers side

An easy way to do this is just cut & connect the wires off AMP1 if your not using it, but I wanted the speaker wires running down each side.
                              Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                              Genesis Four Channel
                              Genesis Dual Mono
                              Caliber Evolution 4300
                              Sinfoni S165W
                              Sinfoni S100M
                              Simfoni S25T
                              Morel SW 9

Comment

And that's pretty much how far I've got!

I might be having a re-shuffle with the amps though. I've gone a bit ott this lst couple months on amps and now have a small old school Caliber & RF collection going!

I'll stick some pics up later (missis is doing her nut back home!)
                                Saab 9-3 v6 Aero

DEX-P99RS
                                Genesis Four Channel
                                Genesis Dual Mono
                                Caliber Evolution 4300
                                Sinfoni S165W
                                Sinfoni S100M
                                Simfoni S25T
                                Morel SW 9

Comment

Working...
                                X