ROBolop Design (bmw e46)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROBolop Design (bmw e46)

I have followed the BMW on diyma for a long time. It's just pure art! The carbon fiber and aluminium work is fantastic!

I have two Reference 500 amps. They look almost the same as yours on the inside. The only thing I can add, is that make sure the two inductors in the back of the power supply is secure. On one of my amps they where not, and started to make some springy sounds when the amp was moved or touched. I just used some hot glue, but silicone is probably better...

Also, when the board is out, check that the fasterners that hold the goldplated connectors it tight. The fuse holders where slightly loose on mine. It's difficult to get to these without removing the boards!

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Really cool to have you on this forum!

I have been looking trough your builds since i started to be interested of car sound, you have always been one of the gods in car audio for me! I would be real happy if i someday would make half the quality of your work.

Hoping to see more of your builds soon!

Kalle
      Kolla in mitt bygge i Saaben!
      http://www.bilstereoforum.se/showthread.php?t=35263

Rockford Fosgate, Dayton Audio, Dls.

Comment

It has been quiet for a while on this forum topic,
        but believe me, that was totally beyond my control.

Those who know me in person, I guess they know why.
        And all others ... maybe better take a look at this video :

https://youtu.be/gWyVrfTlqdU

Comment

Sorry to hear about your shoulder condition, can only hope that your situation improves. Health comes before everything else.
          ...there are only 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't...

Bygglogg BMW G20: BMW G20 SQ (Ny!)
          Bygglogg BMW F36: BMW F36 SQ
          Bygglogg Audi Q7: Audi Q7
          Bygglogg BMW F10: Tvåstegsprojekt i BMW F10

Team Ljudbyggaren
          1:a Plats Skilled OEM - SM 2017
          3:e Plats Master OEM - SM 2018
          8:e Plats Master OEM - EM 2018 ()

Comment

As you can see in the movie, I’m going through life in a wheelchair.
            Of course my bimmer is adapted, so the gas and the brake is operated at the steering wheel.
            You can let a specialized company do this, but I chose to do it myself.
            I let a company do it to my first car, and this looked hideous, AND it cost me a lot of money too…

Meanwhile, this is my 4th car I adjusted myself.
            You can do it yourself, as long as it’s properly done, and all secure. Once your build is done, you need to get an approval, by a technical inspection.
            Of course there are rules you must respect.
            One of those things is, that you can not weld onto the brake pedal

This is a picture of the entire system that is mounted to the steering gear.
            On the left you see the bracket where the pivot point of the brake is mounted.
            This bracket must be made very strong, cause a lot of power comes on it, especially when you have to do an emergency brake.

The bracket itself is mounted with 2 clamps on the handlebar and two screws on the side (where the dashboard is secured)

This piece is screwed to the brake pedal.

This adjustable rod is connected between the brake pedal and brake on the steering wheel.

Here you can see how everything is mounted in the bimmer.
            The iron bar with the rubber handle that you see, is my brakepedal.
            Before the handle you see a mountainbike-brake. This is the thing I use to accelerate.

So, the brake lever is connected with a steel rod, screwed onto the brake pedal. This works perfectly, and most of the time, I only need a few fingers to brake.
            What acceleration is concerned, I’ve made this with an INOX shiftingcable of a bicycle. The runs into a “gain”, and comes our behind of the gas pedal.
            By pulling the mountain bike lever, I also pull the gas pedal. It works perfectly, and runs smooth.
            The advantage of how I made it, is that my wife can operate the entire vehicle in the normal way, feetwise.

Comment

I already changed my doors to fit in the Focal 16cm

The 16cm now going to have to make room for two Focal Be 13 WS .
              This is going to be a challenge because I want to let them play in a closed room to play between 10 and 14 liters. Preferably 14.
              That's not going to be easy , thinking in terms of space , and then again thinking about the resonance, but i’ll manage.

Difficult is still not impossible, I’ve already done it with my previous bmw (e30)

First of all, I cut some, and cleaned up a bit.
              Loosened all of the cables.

Cleared all of the cables nicely, and brought in the saw. You can see what I sawed, it’s lying on the ground.

This all looked a lot better to me.
              Thats what I sawed, of course, I treated against corrosion etc. You can also see that I put on an aluminum slat L where the panel will be placed ON .

Because I needed to have a firm foundation , I milled two panels of 4mm HPL ( Trespa) . L and R.

I provided some holes for clips to secure the plate to the original position.

This fixation I use for making it a bit more easy for me . Within a few weeks you 'll begin to see that these panels will be screwed .

Then I started to make the closed room.
              I made a loooooooooooooooot of silly little molds made out of cardboard , and then I drew it all on on 18mm MDF .

After a lot of milling I had this.

This all w
              ill be mounted in the car

A familypicutres of the 18 parts L&R.

Comment

Whoah - that's some nice routering skills on display right there mate!
                ...there are only 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't...

Team Ljudbyggaren

Comment

Because I did not have to modify the top of the original door panel, I'll use it like this.
                  I still had two panels laying around, so I decided to put in the saw.

This is how it looks now..

As you can see now, I can perfectly see where the window lands once it’s rolled down.
                  Here you can see I’m about 3mm under the window.

Of course I need to close this room on the backside.
                  I’m planning of doing this with MDF of 16mm. So I took a lath of 18mm and held it against the window, and then drew a line.

What was too much I milled away , and now I have such a 5mm between the window and the MDF .

Comment

The four MDF sections that stand in the door I have now adjusted so that the window can go down like it should.
                    You can see at the back there is quite a difference in terms of depth. This has to do with the shape of the window.

Now I have this, I can start to adjust the original top , and fix the panel that I made.
                    So I can have it back in 1 piece , & I can move on to the next step.

Comment

Damn that looks good!!!

Comment

Heavy door! .

Comment

I was able to mounten the upper part of the original panel pretty firmly on the volkern ( Trespa ) .
                          I was able to screw this beautiful but once all that is done, I also glued it together.
                          You can also see the frame 2x18mm MDF which stands on the solid core.

So the original upper part is tightened!

Then I started to make a model where the speakers can stand into
                          These three MDF parts are made with the uppermill.

In the upper end the speakers will come.
                          In the middle you see the outside where the grill will be placed in , and underneath it frame where the grill will be mounted in.

Here you can see everything together.

This is the piece of MDF where the rest will be placed on.

The right part where the peakers come to be (model-wise) fora bout 90% complete.
                          As you can see , it looks very blunt as it is now .
                          Soon you’ll see some changes

Comment

I'm quite sure that is going to be awesome as always Rob!

Team Ljudbyggaren

Comment

The part which stands in the middle of the door, I made of polyester.
                              Of course I had to make a mold of it first. Firs I cut out the cardboard , then cut 1mm thick HPL what I still had laying around.
                              The advantage is that you can make a good model if you clamp it, and tighten it up.

Then taped everything, and cut the polyester to size. 3 Layers of cloth.

This is the result

You can also see that there is a rounding over the entire length .

This should now be thoroughly sanded, and then everything nicely done with filler.

Then I started to make a support for imposing the elbow. This will be the upper part.
                              I also have a first mold ( the 3 front) made from MDF and then milled everything.

Good thing I only have 2 doors 

Comment

Beautiful and detailed as always!

Comment

Working...
                                X